Friday, March 12, 2010

Andrew Sullivan on Catholisism and Gay Marriage...

For the most part,  I tend to take  a lot  of  what  Andrew Sullivan says with a grain of salt.   In the past, as a former repubican,   I have found  his  conservatism forced; and as a Protestant,  have found  his  theology  riddled with contradictions  he simply chooses to ignore.   If I were ever allowed to stage a  "dream debate",   I would  love to see  Stephen Fry take Sullivan on,  but I digress...

That being said, I have to acknowledge  Sullivan as clearly one of the great free thinkers of our age.  During his speech and  Q&A  at Princeton University recently,  Sullivan says  a few things   on the subject of  theology that I  might take issue with.  But  his response  to a questioner on the nature of marriage itself, and how the idea of  same sex marriage  is completely  in tune with the basic and most fundamental  message of  Christianity, was quite simply brilliant...



The entire lecture can be viewed via the Princeton website  here.

No comments: